Scarlet Enclave

The keep of the Scarlet Enclave

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Vlance's History (Finished)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Felanar

PostSubject: Vlance's History (Finished)   Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:03 am

((I deleted the last one, as it was a little... I dunno. Anyway - here is Vlance's past, or part of it. It's the version I'm happy with, so enjoy! Now then, ten years ago...))

“Hey V, what d’you think it’s like outside these walls?”

“I dunno. It’s a big, scary world out there. We… We should be grateful for what we have here”

“I know, but c’mon, you’d be lying if you said you’d never thought of that question yourself!”

“Well, that’s true... But I’m content. I have A family, friends. I have a home! But most of all, I have you”

“Oh, stop!”

Drellia blushed, her cheeks glowing rosy red. I smiled and slid a little closer. It was true, all of it. We both wondered what the world had for us beyond the walls of Stormwind but, so long as we had each other, we knew we’d be fine, no matter what happened.

For what felt like hours we simply sat there, perched on the edge of Stormwind harbour’s highest point, looking across the docks and out to sea. And as the sun set and the stars came out, we stayed there, closer now than ever before.

The world could go to waist, so long as we had each other.

Last edited by Felanar on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Felanar

PostSubject: Re: Vlance's History (Finished)   Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Ten years later

Pain hurtles through my body as the arrow sinks into my thigh. I scream in pain and fall back, releasing my sword as I do. It clatters to the ground followed seconds after by myself.

“Vlance, get up!”

I try, but something is keeping me pinned to the ground. I look around, at the bushes, roots and even at myself but see nothing. It’s not a physical bond that keeps me down; it’s the weakness of my will and another unseen force.

I watch, horrified as Drellia is set upon by a giant all too gruesome to describe. Teeth sharp as blades sink down into her arm and I can do nothing more than sit there and watch as the only thing I live for is taken away from me.

I cry out in anguish as tears well in my eyes. Tearing at anything and everything around me, begging whatever divine force I can think of to free me from this unbreakable grasp. But the freedom doesn’t come…

“Drellia…” I whisper, unable to believe something like this could happen.

“Drellia… Drellia!” I yell, but I know it’s all too late. “Drellia!”

It’s then, when my hope is gone and my fears are fulfilled that a light all too bright to be anything other than holy is cast over me. The lord himself might as well have rubbed salt into my wounds, if I had any. The light intensifies until it blinds me and the world blacks out.

Last edited by Felanar on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Felanar

PostSubject: Re: Vlance's History (Finished)   Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:11 am

When I open my eyes, I meet the gaze of Drellia. Her face is a mask of fear, fear which I have caused her. She’s sat on top of me, her knees folded at either side of my chest. Her hands are grasping my own tightly.

I give a single shudder then nod at her to show I’m awake.

“Bad dreams again?” She asks, releasing my hands and caressing my head gently instead.

“Aye. The same one, too. Drellia, are you sure this last contract is such a good idea? Can’t we just pack in the mercenary business now?”

She sighs and rolls off of me. I sit up and slide in close.

“I’ve told you,” she says, sadly. “If we’re ever going to afford a home in Stormwind, we’ll need all the money we can get. And hey, this is our last contract, so we might as well make it count!”

“We’ve been signed up to kill an Ogre! You know - Those tall fat things with a brain big as my thumb and a club as big as me! Don’t you think we’re in out of our league here? Heck, how did we even get into this business?”

“It’s a little late to be asking that now, isn’t it? And besides, you know how. In all those combat classes we had at school, we were the best in the class. You know, me with my slick moves and you with your… Brute strength. We were a perfect match, made to go into the fray of battle back-to-back. You’re simply too good a friend to let me get into a fight on my own.”

“C’mon,” I say, smiling. “You’re not still referring to it as just a friendship, are you? We’re getting married in a month, remember? Ah, I can’t wait! In a months time it’ll be just you, me and the bright walls of Stormwind again!”

“Here we go again,” She giggles, “Always thinking of the future rather than the here and now.” Pecking me on the cheek, I simply smile at her, the worry fading. It was our last assignment and we’d never failed! What were the chances of us screwing up this time, eh?

Last edited by Felanar on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Felanar

PostSubject: Re: Vlance's History (Finished)   Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:40 am

A couple of hours had past. We’d been walking the whole time. My feet were starting to ache and I could tell Drellia wasn’t enjoying all the exercise. Several times I’d offered to carry her things for her but she kept turning me down.

We emerged into a clearing, greeted by the roasting rays of sunlight. The jungle canopy blocked out almost all the light, which was good because then we only had to put up with the humidity while we walked. Stranglethorn Veil was somewhere I had only heard of in stories. Never had I dreamt of visiting the place myself and even less had I believed that I’d be there to hunt down an ogre, either.

Never the less, here I was with a sword, my soon-to-be wife and a hit list with only a single name left uncrossed. Thinking of the list, I slip it from a pouch on my belt and flick it open. As Drellia sat to catch her breathe and drink, I read through the names of the rather unfortunate people we had had the pleasure of cutting down.

I remember our daring dive into Xander’s lair. A real funny name but a guy you wouldn’t wanna get onto the wrong side of. He ended up killing himself with a reflected shadow bolt.

Bramble rings another bell, a cruel and merciless Dwarf who almost had my head for dessert. Never had I been more grateful of Drellia’s being here.

Larvendus. Larvendus? I read the name a few more times until it finally clicks – He was an undead guy (A civilised zombie, I guess you’d say), who wanted nothing more than to gorge himself on small, furry critters. Unfortunately he ended up devouring a noble’s pet ferret and the guy tasked us with hunting the hungry undead fellow down.

Skipping a few names, I come to the bottom of the list. Drug’zul was the ogre’s name. Sounded more like a troll to be honest, but who was I to judge? The beast had been reported to attack travellers, explorers, and people trying to make a living by gathering the countless types of flora.

A goblin in the near by neutral town of Booty Bay had gotten tired of it all so he decided he’d hire a couple of mercinaries to take care of it. I and Drellia were sent to aid the Goblin. When we arrived at Booty Bay, the small green bugger had been dipping into his cups and could hardly stand, let alone point us in the right direction. Luckily, his companions also knew of the problems the ogre caused and gave us directions.

I’d gotten so wound up in my memories that I never noticed Drellia draw her sword and duck down to the ground. She crawled over and nudged me. Looking down, I quickly slipped the hit list away and drew my own sword.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Felanar

PostSubject: Re: Vlance's History (Finished)   Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:00 pm

((Just a quick note - I've updated a couple of the previous posts. Having finished the story today, I read through it as a whole and made a few bits, in my opinion, sound better Razz You don't need to go back and read them, and I'd suggest you don't until the whole storie's up and you can read it as a whole (It's only short, trust me). The plot's the exact same, it only sounds better if read aloud now ^^))

“What’s up?” I whisper, crouching down next to her.

“We’re being watched” she says, pointing up.

I look straight on to where she’s point and, in mere moments, notice the large, one eyed head sticking out from a tall bush. It grins as our eyes meet and I grin back. Stepping through the bush, the ogre walks towards us slowly. This would usually be when his victims either run or drop down and beg for mercy. We do neither.

“Drug’zul?” I ask, casually, smiling politely up at the brute. Behind the cocky smile my heart’s racing. The ogre’s grin widens, or maybe he’s just bearing his teeth at us? Whatever he’s trying to do, he gives and quick nod and moves closer still.

“Well then,” I continue “It would seem the game, for once, has come to us. Drop your weapons and we’ll make this quick!”

Drug’zul doesn’t take kindly to my threat, as whatever face he was pulling contorts into one of anger. He bellows at us, something indecipherable, then charges. Never had I seen something so fat move so fast…

Drellia foresees the charge and rolls aside, leaving me to battle it out. Pulling up my shield, the ogre swats at me. I jump back and cut at his over-sized fingers. Once or twice I land a blow but the bloated bastard doesn’t feel it.

“Thick as an ogre,” I laugh.

Taking another swing at me, Drug’zul manages to catch my upheld shield and knocks me off balance. I fall backwards and roll aside just in time to feel his foot crash down next to me. “Hey, watch it!” I yell, jabbing his pudgy toes a couple times with the tip of my sword. I was making a game of this which surprised even me!

As he brought his foot up again, ready to crush me to paste, Drellia makes her move. Leaping onto Drug’zul’s back, she drives her short sword through his thickened skin. He feels that and, with a yell, steps back and away from me. I quickly pull myself up and charge him, slashing and stabbing for all I’m worth.

Flailing madly, the ogre kicks out and sends me flying into a tree at the edge of the clearing. “Son of a-” I start, but I’m cut off by a scream. My eyes dart around for the source and I see the ogre’s managed to swipe Drellia from his back. That same, crooked grin spreads across his face.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Felanar

PostSubject: Re: Vlance's History (Finished)   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:19 pm

I get up and inhale, ready to throw an insult and draw the brute’s attention but before I can make my move, someone else makes theirs. A short, sharp whistle followed by an unbearable pain in my leg interrupts all thought. Looking down, I see the shaft of a now bloodied arrow sticking out from my thigh.

Falling back, yelling in pain, a sudden realisation washes over me. Rather than pull myself up, save Drellia and hunt down who ever the hell had just shot me (Not before throttling them for their reason first, of course), I lay there, caught out by my memories. This was unremarkably like my dream… Not just remarkable, but the exact same!

I shake my head, telling myself it’s just another nightmare. But like the dozens of times I had seen this in my nightmares, this one is more life like than ever and the thought of knowing what comes next terrifies me.

The ogre bears his dagger-like teeth and buries them into Drellia’s arm. Blood spurts out and falls to the ground beneath her. Despite the pain that must have just now grasped her, she struggles and slashes at the Ogre with a second sword. Any attempt to hurt Drug’zul seems hopeless, though, as he just shakes his head side to side, biting clean through her armour and rending Drellia’s flesh.

When Drug’zul draws his head back his teeth are all stained and I see chunks of Drellia’s green metal armour stuck between them. Laughing, he shows me what the dreams never had. He took the next step, breaking the barrier, showing me that I wasn’t going to wake up.

Wrapping one hand around Drellia’s chest, the other around her waist, he clenches his hands into fists, crushing her in his titan-like grip. Drellia’s scream is cut short as the breath slips from her lips.

It was then, as the force keeping me down shattered, that Rage earned a new title. Then that Rage gained a new form and a new host. And who was that host, you ask? What was their name?

Vlance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Felanar

PostSubject: Re: Vlance's History (Finished)   Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:58 pm

Taking hold of the strap keeping my shield in place, I tear it clean off and grab the now free shield. Launching it at Drug’zul, I scoop up my sword and follow suit, charging. Blinded with the white hot fires of rage, I had nothing but his deep, mocking laughter to guide me.

He catches the shield and tosses Drellia’s seemingly lifeless body aside. When I reach him, I thrust upwards but meet the resistance of my caught shield. Plying my blade free in seconds, my sword swings left and right, slicing and dicing his arms, opening numberless wounds all the way up them.

Realising I’m no easy target; Drug’zul stops his laughter and swipes me up off the ground. I drop my sword, shocked by the suddenness of it, but quickly regained my composure and readied myself for what was to come. The stench was almost unbearable, but when I was just about in place to be bitten in two, I kick out with both legs, piercing his globe of an eye.

Dropping me, his screams of pain only feed my bloodlust and the unquenchable thirst for revenge. Darting behind Drug’zul, I leap up and take a firm hold of his shoulders. Helping myself to the short sword still stuck in place (Compliments of Drellia), I stab him madly, coating myself in his thick blood. The screams only intensify as I drive into him more and more, releasing my pain onto him.

When he nears the brink, I climb up, stand on his shoulders, and bring the short sword high above my head. Roaring with bestial vigour, I bring it down on him with all my might. Sound fades and I’m left blind. In the silence of my own head, I pray, if only for a moment, that this really was all just a dream.

When I come to, the scene has changed but only slightly. I’m sprawled out on the floor facing the pale, ugly mug of the now dead Drug’zul. I feel as though I’ve had the life drained right out of me and struggle to even sit up. Thoughts scattered, I can only think of simple things. “Who am I?” came to mind first, surprisingly. I also wondered where I was and how I had come to be there.

Slowly but surely, my thoughts gather. I remember being hired, thrown into the fray of an ambush. Tougher questions step forward. Who had shot me, and why? Where had they been and what had they wanted from it all?

Though only then did the direst of questions come to mind. Only then did I think of the one thing that truly mattered.

Finding my strength, I stood slowly. Wobbly, battered and bruised, I hobble away from Drug’zul towards another. She’s a short distance from where she had landed. She’d dragged herself up to a large rock at the edge of the clearing to rest, or at least that is what the trail of blood leading to her told me. The blood stains and dirt caking her armour were most defiantly not good signs.

Blood seeps through and soaks my greaves when I sink down next to her, tears glazing my eyes. “Drellia?” I whisper, fearing the worst. There is no reply. No display of her usual, lively self. Her head is tilted forward; the blood has stopped pumping from hidden wounds.

She’s gone.

The grim realisation clings to me and I can do nothing more than slam my fists into the ground and scream. I can do nothing more than mourn her passing, mourn her loss. The loss of a lover, the loss of a friend.

The loss… Of Drellia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Felanar

PostSubject: Re: Vlance's History (Finished)   Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:00 pm

One Year Later

“So, why do you want to join our order?” The red clad figure asks. Dathran, I had heard him called. From the look of him he’d be nothing more than a cocky windbag if not for his body guards dotted throughout this underground chamber. Decided I’d have the best bet of joining if I kept my thoughts to myself, I shrugged and replied.

“To fight.”

“To fight for what?” Dathran presses, eyeing me up and down. I grumble and keep down my urge to stand up and knock him flat on his ass.

“To fight the undead, of course,” I say, adding a forceful “Sir” on the end. That seems to please him. It was a stone-faced lye, I was in this to slaughter whatever I damn well wanted to. I just held the southern lands too dear and figured I’d be better off taking it out with the forsaken North.

“Why is it you fight? What is your motivation?”

I peel several thin strips of wood as my gauntlet-clad fingers scrape against the table. Silence falls over the room as everyone awaits my answer.

“I would much rather keep that to myself, if that’s ok with you, sir…”

“I’d much rather you tell me”

The scenario of me breaking a chair over this nosey gits head passes through my mind and it calms me a tad. I feel some relief that I’d soon be able to cut down whtever I liked and, this time, answered through teeth that weren’t clenched together tighter than an ogre’s grip.

“Let’s just say I’ve lost more than I thought I ever could and that this really is my last place to turn to.” He must think I’m talking about loosing a loved one to the plague of the north, as he nods quietly. Ignorant half-wit.

“You seem to be willing but…” He looks over my red, orange and black armour, cocking an eyebrow. “Your armour could do with a bit of a polish, perhaps some dye too”

Oh, joy, I was going to be fighting alongside someone who knitted mittens in their spare time. I chuckle aloud and Dathran stares at me curiously. “Sorry,” I say, darkly. “Of course, I understand. I’ll get something a little… brighter before we meet again.”

And that seems to be that. He nods and gestures to show I can leave. As I do, the others go back to what they were doing. So far as these southerners knew, they would be recruiting only a short while longer before returning to their northern birth place. I found it funny how they didn’t even ask that many questions.

Maybe they just didn’t care much about what their new recruits had done in their past, so long as the fought for them now it all seemed fine. It was good enough for me, though.

Vlance the haunted, I would call myself, scarred by my loss and twisted by my new found talents. “Vlance the Haunted, Initiate of the Scarlet Enclave and peon of the Scarlet Crusade” would have been a more fitting title, but that was a few words too long.

For now, the spirit that stalked my every move would remain my only title.

((That's it. I could go into endless amounts of detail about the events that happened before now and the things that went down in that year between Drellia's death and Vlance joining the Scarlets. Heck, I might make a second story to go through with that bit. never the less, I hope you enjoyed reading this as I sure enjoyed writing it Smile See you all in the game then!

-Vlance the Haunted))
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ethrean Firehand

PostSubject: Re: Vlance's History (Finished)   Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:38 am

Well done Fel', Another piece that's held my attention from start to finish, and i loved every part of it, although im not sure Dath' would be too pleased to hear your description of him ;D haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Felanar

PostSubject: Re: Vlance's History (Finished)   Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:25 am

Vlance just doesn't like people who try to push him around. Dathran would obviously become one of those people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vlance's History (Finished)   

Back to top Go down

Vlance's History (Finished)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1